Thursday 10 January 2013

WHY I BECAME A SKILLHIPPO TEACHER


Nitin George 

Post 2
"The most surprising thing about my
interaction with SkillHippo was that
I found myself equally interested in
the site as a student!"
If you’re reading this, chances are you’ve come to SkillHippo eager to learn or, like me, to teach your craft. Either way, I think you’re in for an interesting experience.

I am a guitar player and music producer and I’ve been teaching the instrument for  5 years. I write music for my band, The Whoevers, and play in a few bands around Delhi. Apart from this, I work full time at a studio, producing music for commercials, jingles and independent artists.

A SkillHippo representative (no, he wasn’t a real hippo) reached out a few months ago to help me sign up as a teacher. Once I heard the concept behind it, the first thing that came to my mind was, “Why didn’t I think of this?!” but the second, and more important thought that hit me was, “I’ll be able to teach people on my own time!”

As a music producer, I work odd hours which is not the best circumstance for scheduling classes. With SkillHippo’s customisable timetable, I can reach out to an entire class at once instead of individually coordinating with students. I can also track everyone’s progress more closely, which is another bonus, because different students are most often at different skill levels.

From a teacher’s point of view, the ability to reach out to a captive community interested in precisely what I want to teach was a massive draw for me. This way, if I don’t want to teach a beginners’ class for 2 months, I just don’t teach a beginners’ class for 2 months. Also, with the student feedback on the site, I can make blueprints for my future classes to keep things interesting and informative.

The most surprising thing about my interaction with SkillHippo was that I found myself equally interested in the site as a student! With courses beyond music and with the ability to attend classes that best suited my schedule and location, I found myself signing up for different classes. As someone who works full-time SkillHippo saves me the trouble of finding and screening teachers and gives me a clear idea of what I’m in for.


So, if you’re working full-time and want to spend your free time cultivating a hobby or teaching, SkillHippo is definitely the place to check out, and most definitely the place to contact excellent guitar teachers!

No comments:

Post a Comment